80th Annual Meeting


General Information for Everyone

The Visit Canada website provides important information regarding what documents people need to travel and various Canadian attractions and events.

To be fully prepared, it is recommended that everyone who is not a Canadian citizen print and bring a copy of the Canadian Border Service Certificate of Recognition Letter.

U.S. Citizens Traveling to Canada

To travel to Canada, U.S. citizens will need to have a passport.  You do not need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa, or an eTA to enter Canada if you are traveling with a valid U.S. passport.

American citizens, including American-Canadian citizens, must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

Visa Requirements

Travelers from some countries will require visas, while travelers from other countries do not.  To find out whether travel from your country requires a visa click here.

New Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) Requirement

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada.  Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.  If you require a eTA click here for the application.

Letters of Invitation

If you require a Letter of Invitation, the ASR is happy to provide one for those people who are both members of the ASR and have been accepted to be part of the annual meeting program (presenting a paper, panelist, discussant, critic, etc.).  You will receive a PDF letter via email.  Please contact the Executive Office at ASREO@bsu.edu as soon as possible and provide the following information:

  1. Full name
  2. Email Address
  3. Paper Title(s)
  4. Session Title (if known)
  5. Consulate or Embassy to which the letter needs to be addressed