The Association for the Sociology of Religion (ASR) is an international scholarly association that seeks to advance theory and research in the sociology of religion. Formed in 1938 as the American Catholic Sociological Society, ASR traces its roots to scholars in search of a hospitable place for both empirical study and social criticism animated by the social teachings of the church. Our 700+ members come from all continents of the world, and their interests and perspectives are just as diverse and global. The Association encourages and communicates research that ranges widely across the multiple themes and approaches in the study of religion, and is a focal point for comparative, historical and theoretical contributions to the field. In addition, the Association facilitates the sharing of members’ interests with sociologists in other associations and scholars of religion in other disciplines.
Your membership includes the following benefits:
- Annual subscription, both print and online, to the journal Sociology of Religion.*
- Participation in the annual meeting with hundreds of colleagues in the Association, including members of the Religion Section of ASA involved in jointly sponsored sessions and receptions.
- Eligibility for the Association’s grants and award competitions.
- Eligibility for International Travel and Student Travel awards to attend the annual meeting.
- Frequent updates and news about research and teaching positions, graduate and postdoctoral fellowships, grant opportunities, and upcoming conferences, symposia, and workshops.
- Access to our online Member Portal, which allows you to easily renew your membership, register for meetings, submit abstracts, vote in elections, view the ASR Membership Directory, and access the journal Sociology of Religion online.
- Receipt of a 75% discount on volumes of ASR’s Religion and the Social Order book series, published by Brill.
- Receipt of a 20% discount on books published by Oxford University Press through the Members-Only area of this website.
*Memberships are based on the calendar year (January 1-December 31), with annual renewal expected before January 1 of the year for which members wish to receive benefits. Those becoming members or renewing their membership after January 1 should realize that they may not receive all of the journal issues for that year (as ASR does not keep or send out back issues of the journal), that their membership expires at the end of the calendar year (not a year from the date when they renewed their membership), and that membership fees are not prorated. Applications received before October 1 will be processed for the current calendar year. Applications received after October 1 will be processed for the following calendar year.